Integrated Food Security and Sanitation
Implemented in Kilifi County, Garashi ward, and funded by World Renew.
Intervention areas include:
- Teaching and promoting sustainable agriculture methods that are intended to restore and preserve vital soil, water and forest resources upon which the farmers depend for their livelihoods,
- Awareness campaigns on CLTS by VDCs. This will be done through community forums organised by the VDCs to identify their sanitation needs and ways of achieving them,
- Formation of a CLTS committee to spearhead the implementation of the action plan,
- Implementation of the action plans by the beneficiaries towards achieving the goal of becoming Open Defecation Free (ODF). The household will achieve this through excavation of PIT latrines. Other sanitation activities will include digging of rubbish pits and putting up dish racks, discussions on hand washing and water treatment using local available materials,
- Establishment of Village Saving and Lending Associations – VSLA,
- Establishment 45 Farmer Field Schools in the ten target communities,
- Support and monitor the Village Development Committees as they implement the Community Action Plans,
- Link farmers in these communities to government extension officers.